Intellectual Disability Rights Service
- Work Type: Part time 22.5 hours week contract position until 30 June 2020
- Classification: Disability, Community Services, Justice
- Sector: Not for Profit
- Location: Penrith
ABOUT IDRS AND THE COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT DIVERSION PROGRAM
Intellectual Disability Rights Service operates a community legal centre and justice support services for people who live with cognitive disabilities including acquired brain injury, brain damage, autism, foetal alcohol spectrum disorder, dementia. Our values of justice, respect and persistence are central to all our work.
Cognitive Impairment Diversion Program (CIDP) is a pilot program funded by the NSW Department of Communities and Justice and based at Penrith and Gosford Courts. CIDP provides intensive casework assistance to people with cognitive impairment who are defendants in these two local courts. CIDP supports participants to link with relevant and appropriate disability (via NDIS) and mainstream support services with a view to improving quality of life, increasing the use of diversionary orders and reducing future arrest rates.
CIDP is looking for a case manager who is experienced and committed to person-centred approaches to achieving social and legal justice for people with cognitive impairment. The case manager will work directly with people with cognitive impairment to identify gaps in their support systems and assist them to establish effective relationships with services. Case managers advocate to achieve the best possible outcomes for the CIDP participant. The caseworker is involved in initial screening to identify possible cognitive impairment, arranging and providing evidence of cognitive impairment and a support plan to the court.
Please see attachment below for full position description.
For more information about the work of IDRS and CIDP see the IDRS Annual Report 2018-19 on our website www.idrs.org.au.
- 3 day week contract position – flexible hours
- Start as soon as possible.
- Based in Penrith
- Salary based on $78,312 – $81,939 per annum (SCHADS Level 5) + 9.5% Superannuation
- Excellent not for profit tax benefits
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse and people with disability are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Your application must include a statement explaining how you meet each of these following selection criteria in your application
- At least 2 years direct case management/case work experience with people with cognitive impairment including demonstrated experience in advocating for their rights
- Demonstrated experience in supported decision making and person-centred approaches to case management
- Sound understanding of the philosophy and operation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Sound knowledge of disability and mainstream service systems and ability to assist people with cognitive impairment to negotiate service outcomes in line with their choices and needs
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including report writing and ability to communicate complex ideas simply and effectively
- Proven ability to work independently in a small team environment
- Understanding of the NSW local court processes and issues impacting people with cognitive impairment in the criminal justice system
HOW TO APPLY
To apply email your cover letter, resume and a statement addressing the above skills and knowledge to email@example.com, using the subject line: Case Manager – Cognitive Disability Impairment Program application via EthicalJobs.
Closing time: 10pm Sunday 15 March 2020.
Enquiries contact: Charlotte Rider on 0408187114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.