Work Type: 1 full-time solicitor and 1 part-time solicitor 22.5 hours week.
Location: Office located in Sydney CBD
Applications Close: 10pm Monday 2nd December
Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) operates a community legal centre, the Ability Rights Centre, and disability advocacy service. We work to ‘make rights real’ for people in NSW who live with intellectual disability or other cognitive impairment including brain injury and autism. We value and demonstrate justice, respect and persistence in all our work.
IDRS is looking for 2 new solicitors, 1 full time solicitor and 1 part time (3 days) to join our legal team in providing legal advice and casework across a broad range of legal areas; policy and law reform work and community legal education. These are short term contract positions until 3 July 2020.
IDRS currently has a team of 4 solicitors. Our community legal centre also employs educators, (including educators with disability) and disability advocates. Staff work collaboratively to advance the rights of people with cognitive impairment through a variety of strategies.
For more information about the work of IDRS visit our website www.idrs.org.au
- Contract position until 3 July 2020. Extension may be possible depending on funding
- Start date flexible – either December 2019 or January 2020
- Based in Sydney CBD
- Salary range based on full time $85,599 – $89,350 + 9.5% Superannuation
- Excellent not for profit tax benefits
- Flexible working conditions
IDRS values a diverse workforce and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from cultural and linguistically diverse background to apply for these positions
Enquiries: Please contact Margot Morris, Principal Solicitor
Key Responsibilities – see full position description attached below
- Legal advice
- Legal representation
- Education, Information and Networking
- Policy and Law Reform
- Information Resources
- Contribute to a cohesive, reliable, high quality service
Essential skills and knowledge – selection criteria
Your application must include a statement explaining how you meet each of these following selection criteria in your application
- Admitted to practice in NSW and hold or be eligible to hold a practising certificate in NSW.
- Significant experience in providing legal advice and conducting legal casework for people from socially disadvantaged populations
- Understanding of issues affecting people with cognitive impairment and commitment to advancing their legal and human rights
- Excellent communication skills including ability to simplify legal jargon and communicate effectively with clients with cognitive impairment
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team with other professional staff
- Ability to deliver community legal education
Desirable experience and skills
Experience appearing in courts and Tribunals
In your application please indicate whether you are interested in the full time or part time position or both.
To apply email your cover letter, resume and a statement addressing the above 7 areas of essential and desirable skills and knowledge to firstname.lastname@example.org Please write ‘Solicitor Position’ in the subject line.
Closing time: 10pm Monday 2 December
Enquiries – Contact Margot Morris Principal Solicitor on 02 9265 6357